Winning The Cold & Flu Battle

December 7, 2018

Boost your immune system to fight the cold and flu!

Fun fact: 80% of your immune system is housed in the lining of your digestive tract.  The remaining 20% is circulating in the blood stream.  This means that the long- term ticket to strong immunity is great digestive function. It is primarily the bacteria in the gut that communicate with the immune cells in the blood to control immune function.

If you suffer from chronic constipation, food allergies or intolerance, experience gas or bloating, if you are stressed or take NSAIDs like Advil, it can degrade digestive bacteria and leave you with a weakened immune system.  You will be prone to get every bug that comes around!

 

Here are some antioxidants you can take to give yourself a boost to help reduce the oxidative stress and strengthen your immune system:

 

  • Vitamin E, C, A, D
  • Selenium
  • Zinc
  • Probiotics

 

Best food to incorporate:

  • Avocado
  • Berries
  • Greens – eat a variety of colorful vegetables!
  • Eggs
  • Nuts and seeds
  • Cod liver oil (source of Vit A, D and fatty acids)
  • Kefir (you can use this in a shake!)

 

Lastly, stay away from sugar! Sugar feeds pathogenic bacteria in the gut – so sugar and processed carbohydrates are not your friends this winter.

Posted in Uncategorized by Carole Woodstock